It is possible when you’re trying to transfer files between your Windows 10 and an external device such as a USB or an external hard drive; you’re prompted with a timeout error on your screens. This is a step by step guide to help you fix the error.
How to fix the semaphore timeout period has expired error?
Update your adapter’s drivers:
- Press Windows key + X key
- Next, click on Device Manager.
- When the Device Manager manager opens head to Display Adapters section, find your network’s Adapter driver.
- Next, right-click on the driver and click on uninstall
- Then tick the Remove the driver software for this device box and click ok.
- After the driver has been removed, Restart your PC
- Now go to your respective network’s adapter manufacturer’s site and download and install the latest drivers.
Convert FAT32 to NTFS
- Right-click on the suggested driver
- Now choose the format from the list
- Next select NTFS
- Now continue the transfer process
Perform a clean boot:
- Press the Windows key + R key
- The RUN dialogue box will appear.
- Type MSConfig and press Enter
- Now head over to the services tab in the system configuration window and choose the hide all Microsoft services option.
- Now click the Disable all button.
- Now head over to the Startup tab and click open task manager.
- Now disable every startup item from the list.
- Now navigate back to the system configuration window and click apply.
- Click ok and save changes.
- After that, restart your PC and see if the issue is fixed.
Check the connection of the local network:
When you’re transferring, make sure there are signals present, the connection between the workstation is set correctly, and there wasn’t any timeout during the transfer.
Disable firewall and antivirus:
The firewall and antivirus are two important tools for the security of your operating system, and so sometimes the firewall and antivirus block specific files. Hence, one way to fix this error can be temporarily disabling your firewall and antivirus and see if the issue is fixed.
We hope the article was helpful to you in fixing the semaphore timeout error. Don’t forget to leave your feedback as it helps us in making better guides for you.