A quick yet ultimate guide on how to enable File Explorer Tabs in Windows 11 version 22H2.
- There was a lot to get thrilled about when Windows 11 22H2 was released in the Release Preview Channel by Microsoft.
- Support for features like drag and drop to the taskbar and a few additional Start settings were brought back by this release.
- There have been a number of cumulative updates since then, each bringing new features and bug fixes as well as support for File Explorer tabs.
- There is a new tabbed File Explorer in Windows 11 22H2 along with other features like sticker support.
On Windows 11 22H2, what can you do with tabs in File Explorer? A File Explorer with tabs, for those who are not familiar, is very much like a web browser. You don’t have to start a new program to browse numerous directories with tabs.
The File Explorer in Windows 11 has been improved with the addition of a tabbed interface. The new Windows 11 tabs can save you time because they are a new multitasking feature. File Explorer tabs have been supported by the Dev channel for some time now, making this feature available to a much broader audience.
On Windows 11 22H2, how to activate tabs in the File Explorer?
This feature is available on Windows 11 Build 22621.160 (22H2) and newer, however, it appears to be buried. In the Beta Channel, this update is currently available, and it will shortly be rolled out to the Release Preview Channel.
It is possible to use the new navigation pane alongside tabs in the File Explorer if your device is configured to receive beta builds or if you have Build 22621.160+.
Following these instructions will enable tabs in File Explorer.
- Sign up for the Windows Insider Beta Channel by joining the program.
- To complete the installation of Windows 11 Build 22621, perform a system reboot.
- Open Github and go to the ‘ViveTool’ downloads page.
- Save ViVeTool-v0.2.1.zip to a location where you can find it quickly.
- Extract the contents of the.zip file by right-clicking on it and selecting “Extract to a new location.”
- Make a duplicate of the tool’s path by going to the folder where you extracted it.
- Open the Windows Search window.
- When you type Command Prompt, type “Administrator” and press Enter.
- In the command line, type cd paste the path you copied in step 6>. cd UsersmayankDownloads, for instance, ViVeTool-v0.2.1
- The directory of Command Prompt will be changed to the place where ViVeTool-v0.2.1.zip was extracted if you performed the procedures correctly.
- Enter the following commands one by one into the Command Prompt and reboot the machine.
vivetool addconfig 39145991 2
vivetool addconfig 37634385 2
vivetool addconfig 36354489 2
Two big modifications have been made to File Explorer: tabs are now enabled by default, and a new sidebar offers improved navigation.
Update: Download Windows 11 (22H2) ISO
It’s important to keep in mind, though, that Microsoft is aware of various difficulties with the tab structure in File Explorer. File Explorer tabs, for example, have the up arrow misplaced due to a problem. An upgrade to Windows 11 version 22H2 or later is planned to address this.
Even if the operating system is set to light mode, File Explorer’s body may still display in light mode.
Alternative method: Get Tabs in Windows 11 22H2 via KB5014770 update