Windows Defender is a great update to the previous security system Windows Security Essentials. However, Windows Defender is more prone to errors and the users encounter errors more often such an error is the error message: Potentially harmful software detected alert. This doesn’t mean that the software is actually harmful but sometimes windows defender assumes too much. In this article, you’ll find some effective ways to fix this error.
How can I fix the Windows Defender error?
Scan system with Windows Defender:
Sometimes your system is infected with malware that tends to cause malfunctions in your system and errors as well, so a full system scan is essential for removing the malware threats from your computer. Follow the steps below to run a full system scan
- Go to the start menu and search windows defender
- Now double click and open the tool
- Then choose the shield icon
- Now click on Advanced Scan option
- Check the full system scan box
- Let the scan run and if you find any malware remove it
Disable Windows Defender:
- Open Settings and click on Update & Security
- Then choose Windows Defender
- Now click on Open Windows Defender Security Center
- Then open Virus and Protection menu
- Select Virus and threat protection settings
- Now turn off Real-time protection
Disable Windows Defender using Group Policy Editor:
- Open Group Policy Editor and head over to the following path: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender Antivirus
- Then right click on Turn off Windows Defender and click Edit
- Now, set the policy to Enabled and save changes
- Then in the end simply restart your PC
If this article helped fix the error then, please leave your feedback in the comments section below.