External hard drives are a great tool to increase the memory of your device. Still, corruption or malfunctions in both external and internal hard drives can cause problems to your system, including various errors. Here are some solutions to solve the ‘the drive cannot find the sector’.
How to fix the error ‘The drive cannot find the sector requested ‘ in Windows 10?
Checking disk for any possible errors:
- Open the command prompt and run as administrator.
- Then type in the following command.
Note: X is your respective drive name
Unplug and Replug the external hard drive
If the error is appearing with removal storage, then you should try unplugging and replugging the external hard drive and make sure when you’re doing this all the tabs are closed on your PC
Cleaning up unnecessary files:
- Go to the start menu then search for disk cleanup and launch it
- Select the respective disk you want to clean then see how much space you can cleanup
- Now select the button cleanup system files
- The disk cleanup will remove any unnecessary temporary files from the drive
Performing a full system malware scan:
Sometimes your system is infected with a malware that tends to cause malfunctions in your system and errors as well, so a full system scan is essential for removing the malware threats from your computer. Follow the steps below to run a full system scan
- Go to the start menu and search defender
- Now double click and open the tool
- Then choose the shield icon
- Now click on Advanced Scan option
- Check the full system scan box
- Let the scan run and if you find any malware remove it
Run an SFC scan :
- Press Windows key + X key
- The command prompt window will open click on the run an administrator.
- Now type in the following command.
- Then press Enter
- Then restart your computer.
- Change partition size
- Reinstalling the external hard drive
- Formatting the drive