How to fix a corrupt bootres.dll file in Windows 10
If your PC automatically boots into the Auto Repair screen, you need to click on the option to run Auto Repair. If it does not work, you have to boot into the Advanced Startup Options to manually and run Auto Repair. Once you are in the Advanced Options, you will be able to:
- Run Auto Repair
- Use System Restore
- Starting Windows from an external device
- Access the Command Prompt
- And use System Image Recovery to restore Windows from the Image Factory.
If the Auto-fix fails to fix the problem, you may have to use System Restore or Command Prompt to execute steps further troubleshooting. See the guide below to use this tool.
1 – Try running the System File Checker in Safe Mode.
Run the System File Checker is the safest way to fix the DLL file is missing or damaged error thrown by the Windows operating system because it can provide better results.
System File Checker or SFC is a built-in utility command that helps restore damaged files and lost files. It replaces bad system files and corrupted into a good system file that may cause a Machine Check Exception BSOD error. To run the SFC command, follow the steps below.
- Boot your PC into Safe Mode.
- Tap Win + R to launch to Run.
- Enter cmd in the field and press Enter.
- After opening a Command Prompt, type sfc / scannow
- command will start a system scan that will take some occasional before completion. Once completed, you can get the following results:
Windows resource protection did not find a violation of integrity.
Resource Protection found a corrupt file window and managed to fix it.
Windows Resource Protection found the corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
2 – Try running the DISM tool to repair System Image.
To fix the Image System, you need to use DISM or Imaging and Deployment Services Management tools. DISM tool is another tool in the Windows operating system’s command line that can help users fix various system files damaged. To use it, follow these steps:
- Open a Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Then type this command: Dism / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth
- Do not close the window if the process takes some time because it may take a few minutes to complete.
Note: Your order is executed will check for the Windows component store corruption and will restore good health. The scan may take up to 15 minutes. Once that is complete, you have to restart your computer.