Windows Defender is a built-in tool provided by Microsoft to protect the Windows operating system from any malware or virus threats. However, sometimes users encounter a ‘This program’s service has stopped Windows Defender error‘. Well, you need not worry because if you’ve encountered the same error and wish to fix it then this article is your go-to guide for resolving the issue.
How to fix the Windows Defender error?
Verify Registry Editor:
- Press the Windows key + R key
- The RUN dialogue box will appear
- Type Regedit and click OK
- Now head over to the following path: HKey_Local_MachineSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftWindows
- Then set the value of DisableAntiSpyware key to 0 or delete it
Activate Windows Defender Services:
- Press Windows key + R key
- Type services.msc in the RUN dialogue box and click OK
- Now locate the following services:
Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service
Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service
Windows Defender Antivirus Service
Windows Defender Security Center Service
- Set the startup type to Automatic for every service mentioned above
- Then click on Start button and Apply
Disable third party antimalware software:
It is possible that the third party anti-malware intervenes in the functions of The Windows Defender and so every time Windows Defender receives a notification from the third party anti-malware software it shuts itself. Hence, you should disable your third-party anti-malware software to fix this issue.
If this article helped you well in resolving the problem then, please leave a comment below.