If you want to perform a clean installation of the Windows 11 23H2 (2023 Update) on a compatible device, you’ll need to create a bootable USB installation media. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the process step by step, ensuring a hassle-free installation experience.
Introduction: Preparing for a Clean Install
Before we delve into the methods of creating a bootable USB drive for Windows 11 23H2, it’s essential to understand the significance of this approach. While you can install version 23H2 by mounting the ISO file in File Explorer, booting from a USB media remains the preferred method for a fresh installation. It’s often the only option when dealing with a new, empty hard drive.
Let’s explore three reliable methods to create your Windows 11 23H2 bootable USB media:
Method 1: Using Rufus
Rufus is a powerful tool that simplifies creating a bootable USB drive. Here’s how to do it:
- Visit the Rufus website.
- Download the latest version from the “Download” section.
- Double-click the downloaded file to launch Rufus.
- In the Settings, choose the “Daily” option under “Check for updates.”
- Close Rufus and reopen it.
- Select your USB flash drive under the “Device” section.
- Under “Boot selection,” choose “Disk or ISO image.”
- Click the download option, then select Windows 11.
- Choose the 23H2 update and preferred edition (Home/Pro/Edu).
- Select the language and architecture (x64).
- Pick a location to save the Windows 11 23H2 ISO file.
- Under the “Image option,” select “Standard Windows 11 Installation.”
- Optionally, assign a volume label for the drive (e.g., “Windows 11 23H2 Setup”).
- Click “Start” and uncheck unnecessary options.
- Click “OK” and wait for Rufus to create the bootable media.
Method 2: Using Command Prompt
If you prefer a command-line approach, follow these steps:
- Visit the Microsoft Support website.
- Download the Windows 11 ISO file.
- Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
diskpartto open Diskpart.
list diskto identify your USB flash drive.
- Select the drive with
select disk X(replace X with the appropriate drive number).
- Run these commands to prepare the USB drive:
create partition primary,
select partition 1,
format FS=FAT32 quick,
- Exit Diskpart with
- Mount the Windows 11 23H2 ISO file with PowerShell.
- Reopen Diskpart and identify the drive letter for the mounted ISO.
- Exit Diskpart.
- Access the ISO file (e.g., drive letter E).
- Navigate to the “boot” folder.
- Update the volume boot code for the USB drive with
bootsect /nt60 X:.
- Copy all Windows 11 2023 Update installation files to the USB drive using.
xcopy E:*.* X: /E /F /H.
Method 3: Using Media Creation Tool
For a user-friendly approach, consider the Media Creation Tool:
- Visit Microsoft’s support website.
- Download the Media Creation Tool.
- Run the tool and click “Accept.”
- Select “USB flash drive” and follow the prompts.
- Choose the USB drive, ensuring it’s empty.
- Complete the process, and your bootable USB drive is ready.
Important Note: These instructions are intended for creating installation media when the Windows 11 2023 Update is available, not before its release.
Conclusion: With the Windows 11 23H2 bootable USB media at your disposal, you’re well-prepared to perform a clean installation or upgrade to this exciting Windows version. Watch for Microsoft’s updates as they continue to enhance and refine the Windows 11 experience.